Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, July 16, 2007

Why This Luo Thing Hurts Me So…

archive

I was born in Kisumu and yet strangely enough my parents were not residents of this beautiful Luo Nyanza lakeside city. They were in fact traveling and Kumekucha just couldn't wait to get into this world—if only I knew the nature of this planet then, I would not have been in such a hurry.

I met the Kikuyu beauty who is now the mother of my children and the woman I still love so much, in Kisumu. I was on transit to Kakamega, she was visiting the city.

There is no denying that Kisumu is a place of destiny for me.

To this day I make friends more easily with Kenyans who happen to hail from this part of the country and it is never deliberate, it just happens.

This is probably the reason why over the years I have come to understand the historical scenario surrounding this wonderful community.

Many people say that Luos are violent and impatient. Yet the truth is that few tribes in Kenya are as patient and forgiving as these wonderful guys. Very few other communities would have voted so enthusiastically for President Kibaki in 2002 after the massacre that happened in Kisumu in 1969 where the presidential guard opened fire on the crowd, indiscriminately killing many innocent women and children who were by no means a direct threat to the safety of the President. The number of people killed to this day is still a state secret.

What hurts me most is that after all this suffering some very well educated Kenyans can proudly proclaim that a Luo cannot lead Kenya without realizing what they are saying.

P.S. For those who do not know, I am tribless. My father hails from Ukambani, my mother Bukusu, I am married to a Kikuyu was born in Kisumu, grew up in Nairobi, Garissa, Isiolo, Mombasa, Kakamega, Machakos. Language of communication in my house and when visiting the folks; English and Kiswahili.

Why Is Hon Michuki bullying his youthful challenger?

The photographs Kumekucha feared to publish.

Horror of Kenyan with female sex organ sharing cell with men at Kamiti Prison

Are you a Kenyan? Do You love your country? Join in this noble campaign to change things. Do something instead of just complaining.